|Warning! This article contains spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.|
- "Finally it is time for the truth. Let us remove... our masks..."
- —Zobek to Gabriel, just before revealling his true identity.
|Japanese name||ゾベック Zobekku|
|Role|| Member of the Brotherhood of Light|
Lord of Shadow
|Date of birth||Unknown|
|Date of death||Unknown|
|Appearance(s)||1047: Lords of Shadow|
|Abilities||Magical powers, dark spells (as Death)|
Zobek, also known as Lord of the Necromancers and Lord of the Dead, was a founding a member of the Brotherhood of Light and one of the Lords of Shadow in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow who aids Gabriel on his quest. He encourages Gabriel to use the God Mask to bring back his dead wife Marie. Zobek serves also as the narrator of the game, and antagonist, as the Lord of the Necromancers.
- "If the recorded chronicles of the Brotherhood are to be believed, Zobek is one of their longest serving warriors. The list of heroic deeds attributed to him is as impressive as his vast knowledge of the art of war or indeed the mighty fighting skills he can deploy, despite his age.
His weapon of choice is a simple long sword which he handles with skill and alacrity. Strangely, he likes to use an old-fashioned uniform of the Brotherhood of Light that, according to him, was inherited from one of his ancestors; one of the founding members of the Brotherhood of Light."
- —Official Konami Website
Zobek was one of the three founders of the Brotherhood of Light. When the three founders of the Brotherhood of Light ascended to Heaven and left their dark sides behind them, Zobek became the Lord of the Dead. The Lords of Shadow, as these beings became known, formed an uneasy truce between themselves. Zobek however became resentful of this and wanted to gain power over the others. He probed the depths of Hell for knowledge of how to acquire such power. There he unknowingly came under the influence of Satan, who provided him with knowledge of the dark arts, and planted the idea to manipulate Gabriel into his mind. Zobek cast the spell which separated the Earth from the Heavens, knowing his counterpart in Heaven would be forced to contact the Order on Earth.
He manipulated Gabriel so that he would be motivated to complete the God Mask. After putting him under the influence of his Devil Mask, he had Gabriel murder his own wife. He then posed as his ally, and spurred him into finding the God Mask to resurrect Marie. Later, he again influenced Gabriel into unknowingly killing Claudia, so that in the end he could use the Black Knight's gauntlet to control him.
After Gabriel gained the final piece of the mask from the Necromancer, Zobek reveals himself as the true Lord of the Necromancers and the remaining Lord of Shadows to Gabriel. Disguised as Zobek, the Lord of the Dead was able to walk among mankind as a member of the Brotherhood. His ruse was eventually found out by Marie Belmont, the wife of Gabriel Belmont. But before she could reveal the Lord of the Dead for what he truly was, he used the Devil Mask to take control of Gabriel, and made him behead his wife.
Gabriel was shocked to see Zobek as the last Lord of Shadow. As the Lord of the Dead admitted the truth, he also confessed that through Gabriel's quest, the Lord of the Dead was pulling his strings, making him collect the God Mask's pieces for him so that he could gain it's power. He even told Gabriel that he himself killed Marie. As Gabriel fell into despair, the Lord of the Dead electrocuted him, killing him instantly.
The Lord of the Dead then walked up to Gabriel's body, and took the God Mask from him. He laughed triumphantly, but just as he was about to use the mask, he heard a voice in his head. The voice belonged to Satan, the Devil himself. Satan was the reason that the Lord of the Dead had such powerful knowledge, and now that the Lord of the Dead was of no further use to him, Satan set him on fire, burning the Lord of the Dead into ash, leaving nothing left, except his Devil Mask.
Events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of FateEdit
It was evidenced that Zobek revived himself shortly after the events of Lords of Shadows and sought Trevor Belmont's combat cross for unknown reasons, as a Necromancer serving Zobek impeded Simon Belmont's progress, having been promised by Zobek the return of its soul if it successfully delivers the combat cross to him.
Lords of Shadow EpilogueEditYears later, in modern time, Zobek, alive and well, finds Gabriel hiding out in a church as the vampire calling himself Dracul, meaning either "The Dragon" or "The Devil". Zobek tries to coax Gabriel into helping him stopping Satan's return, lest he take revenge on both of them. The two begin to fight and Gabriel falls from his tower into a street full of people. Out in the streets, Zobek reveals that he knows what Gabriel yearns for: an end to his current existence as neither dead nor living. He offers to free his old friend of his immortality in return for his help, and Gabriel vanishes, leaving Zobek to walk off into the night, promising his "old friend" that it would soon all be over.
Lords of Shadow 2Edit
Zobek (voiced by Patrick Stewart) has been confirmed to return in Lords of Shadow 2.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Even before his status as the Dark Lord of Death was revealed, Zobek displayed impressive combat prowess. He was able to hold back the Ice Titan's hand to protect Gabriel and leap to its shoulder as well as survive the fall to the ground. He also displayed incredible strength in Wygol Abbey, where he and Gabriel took turns holding up the stone roof as it nearly crushed them. In his final monologue to Gabriel, he describes his fights through the realm of Satan against the demons as one source of his strength.
As the Lord of the Necromancers and considered as the most powerful Lord of Shadow, Zobek posessed powerful magical abilities, augmented by the Devil Mask. In his monologue to Gabriel Zobek tells of his battles in the Abyss against demons granting him strength, until Satan entered into him and expanded his knowledge of the Dark Arts to "unimagined heights". This signifies that he is privy to powers previously held by Satan, evidenced by his control of the Black Knight's Gauntlet. He also posesses the power to control life as well as death, evidenced by his return centuries later.
It is unknown if Zobek as the Lord of the Dead would have had the power to kill the Forgotten One, as he is not known to have returned to Bernhard Castle after his transformation.
- David Cox has mentioned on Twitter that some of Zobek's facial features were modeled after Patrick Stewart himself, while others were based on Christopher Lee and Sean Connery.[link needed]
- Though he is Satan's pawn for most of the game, in the years following Satan's defeat, Zobek becomes Satan's enemy (even trying to form an alliance with Gabriel/Dracul in order to combat him).
- It is unknown what became of Zobek's heavenly counterpart after his death at the hands of Satan, given that he was able to revive himself. Conceivably, his angelic half is still alive.
- Zobek's title as Lord of the Dead and Lord of the Necromancers, along with his vast power and initial friendship with Gabriel, who would later become Dracula, denotes him as the Death character of the Lords of Shadow universe, who in other Castlevania games serves as Dracula's ally and second-in-command.
- In Zobek's description on the Main Character page, Zobek claims to have inherited his Brotherhood of Light attire from a distant ancestor who was a founding member of the order. Combined with the knowledge that the founding members became the Lords of Shadow, the conclusion that Zobek is the Lord of the Necromancers (or at least connected to him) can be made before ever encountering him in the Land of the Dead.
- When Zobek returns, his eyes are completely black, save for white irises, hinting that something may have changed in him.
- Zobek's altered eye color in the game epilogue closely resembles that of Satan, which might subtly imply that the Lord of the Dead may still be in the fallen angel's control, which would also explain Zobek's survival.
- He is the only member of the Lords of Shadow not to be killed by Gabriel.
- He is the only member of the Lords of Shadow whose name doesn't begin with a "C", although like the others there is at least one hard consonant "C/K" sound in his name. He is also the only one without fangs in his true form.