They are portrayed as old and ruined constructions made by civilizations long time forgotten, and which act as the castle's foundations. Usually embedded in rock formations and connected to either caverns or submerged areas, visibility is often limited and provided only by perpetually lit sconces on the walls. Generally found at the lowest part of the castle (even after traversing a long complex of caves), danger to fall into pits is alleviated to some degree, although many spiked surfaces can still be found.
These places usually don't connect to any other new areas, and their exploration is sometimes completely optional. Still, it's worth exploring them as valuable treasures may be found within their chambers.
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Abandoned Pit to the Catacomb, Cave
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - Underground Gallery
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - Room of Illusion
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Underground Reservoir, Forbidden Area
- Castlevania: The Arcade - Stage 3