Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tomes are magic books used as weapons by Charlotte Aulin in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. They lack physical power compared to Jonathan's weaponry but are compensated by being an early source of elemental melee attacks and/or having extra vertical range. Besides, they're one of the fastest melee weapon classes in the game, only outclassed by the short swords and fists in speed.
List of TomesEdit
Charlotte starts with this book at the start of the game. It deals very weak Slash and Holy damage, and has extremely low reach as only the book is used to attack (i.e. nothing will spawn from its pages). Amusingly enough, the Holy element usually makes it outdamage the Vampire Killer in the early game, since so many enemies are weak to it.
Tome of ArmsEdit
- Main article: Tome of Arms
The Tome of Arms is an encyclopedia of weaponry divided in three volumes which inflict basic physical damage. There's also a fourth secret volume, banned for its destructive secrets, which deals Holy damage.
- Tome of Arms 1 - Found very early in the game, at the Entrance (under the main hallway). A single sword comes out of the book with each attack, dealing Slash damage.
- Tome of Arms 2 - Found in the Great Stairway, near the bottom-right area (under the stairs) of the upper large room. Three weapons come out from the book with each attack, dealing Slash damage and covering a wide area in front of Charlotte, allowing her to attack enemies better in certain situations than with Jonathan's weaponry.
- Tome of Arms 3 - Found in Burnt Paradise. The player must start by exploring the right side of the level to obtain it. Its animation is similar to that of the Tome of Arms 2, with three weapons coming out of the book to deal Slash damage.
- Tome of Arms X - The Tome of Arms X is a reward from one of Wind's quests: "The Lost Page". To acquire it, the player must find two torn pages (Tome of Arms p1 and Tome of Arms p2) somewhere in the Nest of Evil. A single sword comes out from the book's pages with each attack, dealing Holy damage. Since most enemies are weak to Holy, it is the most powerful tome in the game. However, in some situations the Tome of Arms 3 may be a better choice as it has a wider area of attack and may even have the possibility to deal multiple hits (like in the battle against True Dracula, where Charlotte can fend off Dracula's closing claws much better than with the Tome of Arms X). It's interesting to note that this weapon does pure Holy damage, i.e the enemy's melee defenses are ignored while calculating the damage dealt. This means that in some situations, it actually outdamages the true Vampire Killer, though of course it lacks its other advantages.
The Blank Book can be bought at Vincent's shop. It is a slight upgrade from the Encyclopedia (has no elemental attributes, deals very weak Slash damage and has extremely low reach). However, it is essential for completing one of Wind's quests: "Kill Gergoth". Charlotte must deliver the finishing blow on Gergoth in the Nest of Evil while wielding the Blank Book. To complete the quest, the player may choose to cast a couple of 1,000 Blades at Gergoth and then weaken him more by letting Jonathan attack him a couple more times, then switch to Charlotte and finish him off. It's also recommended trying to raise Charlotte's STR as much as possible (STR Boost, Open Veil, Wedding Dress, Combat Boots, Assassin's Cape, etc.). The reward for completing this quest is the Cocytus spell.
Based on the novel The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha written by Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. A little horseman knight wielding a lance comes out of the book to deal Fire damage. It can be found in the Great Stairway, right outside the Save Point before the battle with Keremet.
Based on the classic tale of Celtic legend Tristan and Iseult. A tome with the Ice attribute. It can be found in the Forest of Doom, at the top-left part of the level. Since not many enemies are weak to Ice, this tome ends up being one of the weakest in the game.
Book of DeathEdit
- Main article: Book of Death
Found at the top-left part of the boulder room in Forgotten City (Owl Morph or Griffon Wing required). The head of Anubis spawns from the book, dealing Dark damage. Again, since most enemies in the game are resistant to Dark, it ends up being another weak weapon, not to mention the base damage of Tome of Arms 2, a book got much earlier, is higher anyway.
|Item Data: Tomes|
|Image||Name - Game|
|Type / Users||Attributes / Consume||Statistics / Sell||Found||Notes|
|One of Charlotte's favorite books.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Slash, Holy|| ATK +3|
Sell: (cannot be sold)
| Find: (starts with)|
|A book so frightening the words ran away, leaving it blank.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Slash|| ATK +10|
| Buy: $800 Find: Entrance (Vincent's shop)|
|The love story of a noble knight.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Ice|| ATK +28|
| Find: Forest of Doom|
|The story of a man who thought himself a gallant knight.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Fire|| ATK +18|
| Find: Great Stairway|
|A papyrus tome entombed with the dead.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Dark|| ATK +44|
| Find: Forgotten City|
|An encyclopedia of weaponry. (Volume 1 of 3)|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Slash|| ATK +8|
| Find: Entrance|
|An encyclopedia of weaponry. (Volume 2 of 3)|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Slash|| ATK +50|
| Find: Great Stairway|
|An encyclopedia of weaponry. (Volume 3 of 3)|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Slash|| ATK +80|
| Find: Burnt Paradise|
|The secret lost volume, banned for its destructive secrets.|| Weapon (Tome)|
| Attrib: Holy|| ATK +70|
Sell: (cannot be sold)
| Find: Entrance (reward from Wind)|
Conditions: Complete "The Lost Page" quest.