Thief Mode is an alternate mode in some games that increases the player's Luck at the expense of other stats. There are two Castlevania games with this mode: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.
Game specific informationEdit
Contrary to popular belief, this mode is always available in any version of the game and is one of the few file codes that doesn't require a CLEAR game. On the Name Entry screen, simply enter the name as X-X!V''Q. Alucard begins the game with his Luck maxed out, but he suffers from extremely reduced amounts to other statistics as follows:
- Luck - 99 (normally 14 maximum)
- HP - 25 (normally 80 maximum, can be maxed at 85 but only on subsequent playthroughs if the cutscene is skipped)
- MP - 1 (normally 30 maximum)
- Max Hearts - 5 (normally 60 maximum)
- Strength - 1 (normally 13 maximum)
- Constitution - 0 (normally 12 maximum)
- Intelligence - 0 (normally 13 maximum)
This mode generally starts off very difficult, but eventually becomes relatively easier as Alucard levels up and gains more powerful weapons and armor.
Thief Mode in Circle of the Moon is only available after the player beats the game in all other modes (which happens right after beating Shooter Mode). It serves the same purpose as it did in Symphony of the Night, by increasing Nathan's Luck significantly, but at the cost of reducing other stats. The starting stat handicaps aren't as severe as Symphony of the Night's, and not as many stats take a handicap, although it continues the trend every time Nathan levels up.
Statistics and their respective increments per level start as follows:
- Luck - Starts at 1,600, increases by 160 (capped at 9,999)
- Hit Points - Starts at 50, increases by 5 (half as much as normal)
- Mind Points - Starts at 50, increases by 5 (half as much as normal)
- Strength - Starts at 71, increases by 7
- Defense - Starts at 50, increases by 5 (half as much as normal)
All of these stats normally start at 100 and increase by 10. Intelligence and number of Hearts are unaffected in this mode.
|Castlevania: Circle of the Moon|
Sealed Room - Catacomb - Abyss Stairway - Audience Room - Triumph Hallway - Outer Wall - Machine Tower - Eternal Corridor - Chapel Tower - Underground Gallery - Underground Warehouse - Underground Waterway - Observation Tower - Ceremonial Room - Battle Arena