Proboscis Fairy is a very special Level 4 Fairy-Type Innocent Devil found in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It resembles a slightly overweight middle-aged man with torn fairy wings kept together with scotch tape, and wears a hat with what appears to be a pair of antennae.
The Proboscis Fairy is an important Innocent Devil and worth spending the effort it takes to evolve it. His Press It And See ability gives access to a whole new area in Aiolon Ruins, where many valuable treasures can be found. However, his other abilities are not as useful, as his Just A Little ability requires gambling constantly until giving Hector a major heal, Skull Bomb only damages surrounding enemies minimally and can also damage Hector if he doesn't block or get away from the blast, and Refresh only cures Hector from status ailments, which doesn't occur that often.
Availability and evolutionEdit
- There's a switch here.
- Maybe I should push it...
- Or maybe not...
- Oh, what the heck!
The following table represents the stat gain per level of the Proboscis Fairy.
|Item Data: Proboscis Fairy Abilities|
|Image||Name - Game|
|Type / Users||Attributes / Consume||Statistics / Sell||Found||Notes|
|Just a little, yeah? Heals HP a small amount.|| Innocent Devil Abilities|
|Consume: 5 Hearts|| First Obtained: Enemy defeats|| Effect: HP +1.|
Special: Chance to heal for 573 HP.
Notes: Will disappear from the Command Menu for the next 5 minutes.
|???|| Innocent Devil Abilities|
|Consume: 0 Hearts|| First Obtained: Innate ability|| Effect: Reveals a secret area in the Aiolon Ruins.|
Notes: The Proboscis Fairy will be rendered unconscious for a short while after usage.
|Heals Hector of any kind of ailment.|| Innocent Devil Abilities|
|Consume: 5 Hearts|| First Obtained: Enemy defeats|
|An explosion that damages anything in the vicinity. Be on guard, or this will hurt!|| Innocent Devil Abilities|
|Consume: 10 Hearts|| First Obtained: Enemy defeats|| Notes: Can also damage Hector if he is close enough and does not block.|
- A proboscis is an elongated appendage from the head of an animal, like a big nose or a snout. This explains why the Proboscis Fairy wears a large fake nose on his face.
- The big fake nose is also a reference to the N Demon familiar from Symphony of the Night, a special version of Demon Familiar appearing in the Japanese and Dracula X Chronicles versions of this game, and who wears "funny" nose glasses, essentially having the same function of pressing switches beyond the player's reach.
- The term "press it and see", is a nod to a phrase the Devil Familiar says in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, where he also has the ability to press a button out of the player's reach ("Hmm... a switch. Why don't I press it and see?").
- The big skull bomb the Proboscis Fairy sets, appears to be a nod to another big bomb the player can encounter in Stage 4 of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and which also destroys a big wall to give access to a whole new area in the same level.
- This is the only Fairy-Type evolution that can learn four abilities (which is also the highest among the other Innocent Devil evolutions).
- Also, this is the only Fairy-Type evolution that gains DEF and AGI statistics per level.