The Old Crone (老婆 Rōba?, lit. "Old Woman") is a character in Vampire Killer. She is the first merchant to appear in any Castlevania game. She is a mysterious woman who lives in Dracula's castle and can usually be found hidden behind breakable walls.
Several Old Crones can be found in the same stage, each having their own stock of items or providing specific services. Each merchant will behave differently after being whipped a certain amount of times. After being struck, they may offer Simon something to sell or increase/decrease his current amount of Hearts. Their prices will decrease if the player has acquired a White Bible and increase if they have a Black Bible.
They will disappear after being struck eight times or if Simon uses the Gold Cross when one's on the screen.
There are four types of Old Crones, each identified by the color of her robe:
- White: Does not provide any services.
- Red: Trades items.
- Brown: Gives or takes away five Hearts, depending on the color of Bible Simon is currently holding.
- Blue: Raises or lowers the current stage's difficulty by one level.
The type and services an Old Crone provides can be restored if the player moves to another screen and then returns. However, if the player only moves away from an Old Crone without changing screens, her robe will turn to white and she won't provide further services.
|Item||Normal Price||w/White Bible||w/Black Bible|
- A similar character, the Flautist, appears halfway through the Underground Aqueduct in Castlevania Chronicles. This character offers a variety of items which appear rotating above him; the player can choose which one to get by whipping it, or by hitting the flautist himself to make him change his stock.
- ↑ The game's instruction booklet does not mention this. It was revealed years later by Konami for the introduction of the MSX-U system.
- Vampire Killer at Wikipedia (Japan)