Grand Cross (also called Grand Cruz, Holy Cross or Cross Crash) is an attack involving very large crosses which deal heavy Holy-based damage. It can be performed by many protagonists in the series. There are three versions of this attack:
- In the first version, seen only in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, a giant crucifix appears suspended behind Richter, then multiple crucifixes rise up from the bottom, covering the whole screen and hitting anything in their path.
- In the second version, a pillar of light surrounds the caster; several crosses then spiral up this column, dealing massive damage.
- Finally, in the third version, a large cross of energy appears suspended behind the caster, causing damage to anything that touches it.
Even though these forms look different, the effective range of the last two versions is similar, which is anything nearby or above.
The Grand Cross item crush was first introduced in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. To cast it, Richter must be in possession of the Cross sub-weapon and activate its item crush attack. A giant crucifix will appear behind him and a series of flashing crosses will rise up from the bottom, covering the whole screen and dealing heavy damage to anything they touch.
Pillar of crossesEdit
- The "pillar" version was first used as Richter's item crash with the Cross sub-weapon in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It was also the normal action for Alucard in that game when he used the Cross (100 Hearts).
- The move returned as Nathan Graves' Cross item crush in Circle of the Moon when combining the Pluto + Salamander DSS cards.
- It was also used by Juste Belmont in Harmony of Dissonance when he fused the Cross with the Bolt Book.
- It could be performed by Leon Belmont by using the Cross with the Yellow Orb equipped.
- It was used as Trevor Belmont's special version sub-weapon for the Cross in Curse of Darkness (an effect similar to an item crash).
- It was a Dual Crush available to Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Aulin upon completing Wind's "Master the Holy Power" quest in Portrait of Ruin.
- In Castlevania Judgment, it can be used by Simon, Trevor, Eric, Alucard, Grant, Cornell, Maria and Sypha.
- It's also a Dual Crush used in Harmony of Despair whenever two Belmont-like characters (Jonathan, Julius, Richter, etc.) dual crush together.
The "suspended" version was first shown to be used by Julius Belmont in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. It differs slightly depending on whether Julius uses it as a boss or a playable character. During the boss battle, Julius slowly rises up in the air, pulling Soma towards him and crushing the castle in the background. He then unleashes Grand Cross for a total of seven consecutive hits. On the other hand, when Julius is controlled by the player in Julius Mode, it is a bit weaker. It no longer pulls enemies towards Julius, its duration is shorter, and thus it deals less damage. It returned as a sub-weapon for him in Dawn of Sorrow, although it was watered down a bit, as Julius was no longer invincible when he used the attack and it lost the vacuum property it had in Aria. He used this weapon to destroy a powerful barrier in Soma's story mode which protected the gates to the Abyss. Through a certain in-game glitch/cheat, Soma can equip Julius's version of the Grand Cross as a bullet soul (along with other Julius Mode characters' sub-weapons, like Alucard's Alucard Sword and Julius's Vampire Killer whip). Unlike Julius, Soma can move around while it is active (this is due to it being a glitched soul/weapon) and he doesn't rise up in the air like Julius.
Richter Belmont gained use of this version of the Grand Cross in Portrait of Ruin. Interestingly enough, it also retained the effects of the "pillar" version, essentially making it a combination of both versions of the attack.
Versions of this ability have also appeared in non-canon games. Kokoro Belmont used one in Otomedius Excellent called the "Lightning Sword" as her Platonic Break. This version is a horizontal beam instead of a vertical one for gameplay reasons, as this game is a horizontal-scrolling shooter rather than an action-platformer game.
A different variation of Grand Cross appears in Pachislot Akumajō Dracula; Trevor will project forward a large cross made of holy energy. This cross is similar to Leon's Divine Cross (Cross + Blue Orb) from Lament of Innocence, with the difference that Trevor's version will be thrust forward a great distance, in a beam-like fashion, damaging anything in its path.
While in Pachislot Akumajō Dracula II the Grand Cross returns to its "pillar" form, this time his Divine Cross is a variation of the Grand Cross from Pachislot I, where he will project another large cross made of holy energy and thrust it forward.
|Item Data: Grand Cross|
|Image||Name - Game|
|Type / Users||Attributes / Consume||Statistics / Sell||Found||Notes|
|The ultimate sub-weapon, the cross damages all enemies on the screen. ()|| Sub-Weapon|
Alucard, Richter, Maria (Saturn only)
| Attrib: Holy / Hit|
Consume: 100 Hearts (Alucard), 1 Heart (Richter / Maria)
| ATT +100|| Effect: Thrown forward and returns (Richter and Maria); Always crashes (Alucard).|
Special: Item Crash (Grand Cross, Richter only, 20 Hearts).
| Attrib: Holy|
Consume: 150 MP
| 120 AP|| Find: Starts with|| Effect: A flaming holy cross hits enemies near Julius. Only available in Julius Mode.|
| Attrib: Holy|
Consume: 17 MP
| Find: Starts with|| Effect: A flaming holy cross hits enemies near Julius. Only available in Julius Mode.|
|A secret technique of the Belmont family that releases holy energy.|| Dual Crush|
| Attrib: Holy|
Consume: 180 MP
| Find: Entrance|
Conditions: Complete "Master the Holy Power" quest.
| Effect: Does massive Holy damage to nearby targets, but no effect on distant opponents.|
| Attrib: Holy|
Consume: 60 MP
| Find: Starts with|| Effect: A flaming holy cross hits enemies near Richter.|
Special: Only available in Richter Mode.
|All blocks on the user's board are destroyed. The opponent takes 1 damage for each block destroyed.|| Spell|
|Consume: 50 MP|
|'|| Dual Crush|
Jonathan or Julius or Richter with each other
| Find: (innate)|| Effect: Several large crosses encircles both players and spiral upwards.|
|'|| Dual Crush|
Soma or Alucard + Jonathan or Julius or Richter
| Find: (innate)|| Effect: A dark cross will rise and damage enemies multiple times. Each successful hit will also heal the users for 1 HP.|