Getsu Fūma Den is a 1987 Famicom game by Konami starring Getsu Fūma. It was released in July 7th, 1987 (in Japan only), which was after the original Castlevania, but before Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.
While this game has no sequel, several Getsu Fūma Den-based stages have appeared in other Konami games. These stages are set in Hell and appear in Konami Wai Wai World, Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Parsley Castle and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
Relation with the Castlevania seriesEdit
Characters and stages from this game appeared on DLC for Harmony of Despair. The final boss of Getsu Fūma Den is Ryukotsuki, which is also the boss of Chapter 11 in the Harmony of Despair stage "The Legend of Fuma".
The game generally follows Japanese mythology, but several enemies are similar to, or are the same as those who appear in Castlevania. Some of them were later re-used in the Castlevania series, such as Shimon, known as "Hellmont" in Harmony of Despair, a parody of Simon Belmont and a skeleton.
- Amoeba (亜米婆 Amēba), Slime (巣羅異無 Suraimu), Slimes
- Armor Child (鎧童子 Yoroidōji), Heavy Armor
- Axe Fighter (斧闘士 Onotōshi), axe-throwing zombies (like Axe Armors)
- Axe Ox (斧牛 Onoushi), axe-wielding oxen (like Minotaurs)
- Bone Fish Spirit (骨魚霊 Kotsugyorei), fish skeletons
- Hell Bee (地獄蜂 Jigokubachi), Killer Bees
- Fish Apparition (魚怪魂 Gyokaikon), sickle boomerang-throwing creatures (like Zeldo)
- Flame Silkworm (火炎蚕 Kaenkaiko), bugs that roll up in balls and attack
- Flame Spider (火炎蜘蛛 Kaengumo), Giant Spiders
- Fireman (火炎人 Kaenjin), Fireman
- Heloderm (毒蜥蜴 Dokutokage), a lizard-like creature resembling the Merman
- Living Dead Bird (死蘇鳥 Shisochō), deadly skeletal birds (like Ravens)
- Shimon (死門 Shimon), whip-wielding skeletons
- Snake Bite Spirit (蛇香霊 Jakōdama), Medusa-like snake women
- Sūtra Bone (経典骨 Kyōtenkotsu), bone throwing Skeletons
- Thick Skull (髑太 Dokuta), a sword-wielding Skeleton Soldiers
- Three-Eyed Skull (三ツ目髑髏 Mitsumedokuro), Giant Ghost