|Warning! This article contains spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.|
Castlevania is an animated series based on the game Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, released on Netflix worldwide. The first season consists of four episodes of 23-25 minutes each, which all premiered on July 7th, 2017.
On the day of the release of season 1, Netflix officially announced a second season consisting of 8 episodes to premiere in 2018. In January 19th, 2018, Warren Ellis stated that the second season was to arrive in Summer 2018. In June 2018, it was confirmed that production on a third season would begin in the near future.
The second season was ultimately confirmed by Adi Shankar to release in October 26th, 2018.
- A vampire hunter fights to save a besieged city from an army of otherworldly beasts controlled by Dracula himself. Inspired by the classic video game.
Cast and charactersEdit
The last living member of the Belmont clan, a disgraced family of monster hunters.
The dhampir son of Dracula and Lisa Tepes, who seeks to protect humanity from his father.
A vampire who swears vengeance on humanity for the death of his wife Lisa, summoning an army of monsters to destroy all the people of Wallachia.
A Speaker and the Elder's granddaughter who wields powerful magic.
The leader of a group of Speakers aiding the people of Gresit whom Trevor befriends.
Dracula's beloved wife who is burned at the stake for witchcraft.
A clergyman who orders the burning of Lisa Tepes for witchcraft, later being named the bishop of Gresit.
|A headstrong young woman seeks out forbidden knowledge, and a corrupt bishop courts disaster by enraging a legend.|
|Trevor Belmont drifts into the panicking city of Gresit, where he learns of an ancient evil and makes a surprising vow.|
|Belmont explores the catacombs of Gresit and makes a disturbing discovery. As night falls on the city, the beasts return for blood.|
|In the season finale, Belmont strives to save Gresit from certain doom and comes face to face with a shocking truth.|
Eight new episodes have been confirmed for the second season. Their title, staff and synopsis are yet to be announced.
In March 2007, writer Warren Ellis announced that he was working on a DVD movie adapted from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse along with former Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi. Ellis explained that as he worked with Igarashi to fit the timeline of the series, including writing a new story, Igarashi had eight rewritten pre-production materials, before concluding with a draft that he turned in August 2008.
After that, however, nothing else was heard about the project until February 2017, when co-producer Adi Shankar and Netflix announced it would be released as a series. Kevin Kolde and Fred Seibert are also signed on, as are Seibert's animation company, Frederator Studios.
The show influences has been described by the producer Adi Shankar to be from Japanese anime such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll, as well as western animation such as Young Justice. It has also been stated by Shankar to be "R-rated as f**k", "super-violent", and to have a Game of Thrones vibe.
The series was written by Warren Ellis, who was in charge of writing the script for the now defunct Dracula's Curse animated movie adaptation. Ellis worked at Marvel and developed Hellstorm: Prince of Lies, the acclaimed cyberpunk series Transmetropolitan, and more recently the award-winning FreakAngels series. The movie Red is based on his graphic novel, Red.
A teaser trailer was released on May 24th, 2017. The series was finally released worldwide at midnight (PST time) on July 7th, 2017. Season 2 was officially announced a few hours later on the same day of the release.
- Main article: Castlevania Music from the Netflix Original Series
- The second teaser poster released for this series is inspired by the cover art from the original Castlevania video game, which in turn was based on Norseman, a painting by Frank Frazetta.
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse — The game this series is based on.
- Castlevania Music from the Netflix Original Series — The soundtrack to the series.
- ↑ Gematsu—"Netflix Announces Castlevania Animated Series Launching 2017" (February 8, 2017)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Deadline — "‘Castlevania’ Animated Series Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix" (July 7, 2017)
- ↑ Collider.com "This Week in Animation: ‘Castlevania’ Season 2 Returns to Netflix This Summer". (January 20, 2018)
- ↑ NETFLIX'S CASTLEVANIA VOICE ACTOR SAYS SEASON 3 IS ALREADY IN THE WORKS" (June 7, 2018)
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adishankarbrand/status/1015028322609217536
- ↑ Polygon — "Netflix's new Castlevania series is the most bingeable show at just under 100 minutes" (July 7, 2017)
- ↑ IGN — "Netflix announces animated Castlevania series". (February 8, 2017)
- ↑ Collider.com "Super Violent ‘Castlevania’ Animated Series Coming from Producer Adi Shankar". (August 25, 2015)
- ↑ Deadline — "‘Castlevania’ Animated Series Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix" (July 7, 2017)
- ↑ Richard Armitage on Twitter — "Back in the studio for Season 2" (July 25, 2017)