|Castlevania: Harmony of Despair|
|Released date(s)|| Xbox Live Arcade: August 4, 2010 (World-wide)|
September 27, 2011 (NA)October 12, 2011 (Europe)
March 29, 2012 (Japan)
|Platform(s)||Xbox 360 Live Arcade, PS3 PlayStation Network|
|Media(s)||Direct download (1200 MSP/$14.99)|
|Rating(s)|| ACB: M|
|Director(s)||Koji Igarashi (Producer)|
|Composer(s)||Yasuhiro Ichihashi, Tomoaki Hirono (Principal composers)|
|Genre(s)||Multiplayer adventure game|
|Mode(s)|| Single player|
Online Multiplayer x6
(Xbox Live, PSN)
Local Co-op x4
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (a play on "HD") is a multi-player Xbox Live Arcade and PS3 PlayStation Network game featuring characters, sprites, and locations from several different Castlevania titles. The story, such as it is, involves a cursed book called the Grimoire, in which the story of the evil citadel Castlevania is recorded. However the castle comes to life within the pages of the book, taking various forms from previous incarnations, and the heroes of the past, also recorded in the book and coming to life within its pages, must once again fight to put an end to the curse. This story allows characters from eras ranging from 1691 to 2036 to come together in the same castle to fight evil. There is up to six-player online co-operative play, and while it is beneficial to stick together, as characters can perform powerful combo attacks together, players have the ability to wander the castle freely, regardless of the location of the other players. There is no local co-op for the 360 version, but the PS3 version does have 4-player local co-op. Downloadable content includes new characters and stages.
- Ch1. Caught in the Cradle of Decay - Boss is Gergoth, music is "Ruined Castle Corridor" from Aria of Sorrow. Hidden item is the Bell.
- Ch2. Lord of Unseen Strings - Boss is Puppet Master, music is "After Confession" from Dawn of Sorrow. Hidden item is the Crown.
- Ch3. The End of Chaos - Boss is Menace, music is "Phantom of Fear", an original composition. Hidden item is the Moai.
- Ch4. Esquisse of Violence - Boss is Brauner, music is "Gaze Up at the Darkness" from Portrait of Ruin. Hidden item is Goemon.
- Ch5. Song of the Unslakable Blade - Boss is Death, music is "Ebony Wings" from Order of Ecclesia. Hidden item is Vic Viper.
- Ch6. Come Sweet Hour of Death - Boss is Dracula, music is "The Colossus" from Order of Ecclesia. Hidden item is Konami Man.
- Ch7. Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire - Boss is Astarte, music is "Hail from the Past" from Portrait of Ruin. Hidden item is Vick13.
Xbox Live - Released on September 29th, 2010, Costs 400 MSP.
PSN - Comes with full game.
- Ch8. The One Who Is Many - Boss is Legion, music is "The Lost Portrait" from Symphony of the Night, hidden item is Lucky Cat.
Xbox Live - Released on January 12th, 2011, Costs 320 MSP.
PSN - $3.99
- Ch9. Lord of Flies - Boss is Beelzebub, music is "Castle Dracula" from Symphony of the Night, hidden item is Twin Bee.
Xbox Live - Released on January 19th, 2011, Costs 320 MSP.
PSN - $3.99
- Ch10. Origins - Boss is R. The Count, music is "Vampire Killer" from Castlevania, hidden item is the Crown.
Xbox Live - Released on January 26th, 2011, Costs 240 MSP.
PSN - $2.99
- Ch11. The Legend of Fuma - Boss is Ryukotsuki (literally "Dragon Bone Demon"), music is "Go! Getsu Fuma" from one of Konami's older games known as Getsu Fūma Den (Legend of Getsu Fuma, literally "Legend of the Lunar Wind Demon"), hidden item is the Facade Card.
Xbox Live - Released on February 2nd, 2011, Costs 240 MSP.
PSN - $2.99
- Main article: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair/Gallery
- Soma Cruz
- Jonathan Morris
- Charlotte Aulin
- Julius Belmont
- Yoko Belnades
- Richter Belmont
- Maria Renard
- Simon Belmont
- Getsu Fuma
For more information about music, please see Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Original Soundtrack.
Main Game Music
The game contains arrangements from various games of the series and a few new original tracks. Below is a list of the songs found in the game sound test. Other songs can be found in the game, but aren't added in the sound test.
- Ruined Castle Corridor (Aria of Sorrow)
- After Confession (Dawn of Sorrow)
- PHANTOM OF FEAR (original track)
- Into the Dark Night (Dawn of Sorrow)
- Piercing Battle Fury (Dawn of Sorrow)
- Tanz mit einem Clown (Dance with the Clown) (original track)
- Hail from the Past (Portrait of Ruin)
- Gaze Up at the Darkness (Portrait of Ruin)
- Piercing Silence (Portrait of Ruin)
- Esquisse of Violence (Portrait of Ruin)
- CRIMSON BLOOD (original track)
- Ebony Wings (Order of Ecclesia)
- The Colossus (Order of Ecclesia)
- Symphony of Battle (Order of Ecclesia)
- Order of the Demon (Order of Ecclesia)
- Dance of Illusions (Rondo of Blood, particularly ripped from The Dracula X Chronicles)
- Ein Weltherrscher (One World Ruler) (original track)
Music Set 1
Xbox Live - Released 10/13/10
PSN - $2.00
- Pitiful Scion / The Tragic Prince (Symphony of the Night)
- Pitch-Black Intrusion (Dawn of Sorrow)
- An Empty Tome (Order of Ecclesia)
- Invitation of a Crazed Moon (Portrait of Ruin)
- The Hidden Curse (Portrait of Ruin)
Music Set 2
Xbox Live - Released 11/10/10
PSN - $2.00
- Heart of Fire / Don't Wait Until Night (Aria of Sorrow)
- Aquarius (Castlevania III)
- Slash (Rondo of Blood)
- Divine Bloodlines (Rondo of Blood, the Portrait of Ruin mix)
- Simon's Theme (Super Castlevania IV)
Music Gained with Chapter 8
Xbox Live - Released 1/12/11
PSN - Included with Chapter 8
- The Lost Portrait / Lost Painting (Symphony of the Night)
- Poetic Death / Death Ballad (Symphony of the Night)
Music Gained with Chapter 9
Xbox Live - Released 1/19/11
PSN - Included with Chapter 9
- Castle Dracula / Dracula's Castle (Symphony of the Night)
- The Horde's Festival / Festival of Servants (Symphony of the Night)
Music Gained with Chapter 10
Xbox Live - Released 1/26/11
PSN - Included with Chapter 10
- Vampire Killer (Castlevania)
- Nothing to Lose (Castlevania)
Original NES tracks
- VAMPIRE KILLER (Castlevania, original NES version)
- STALKER (Castlevania, original NES version)
- WICKED CHILD (Castlevania, original NES version)
- WALKING ON THE EDGE (Castlevania, original NES version)
- HEART OF FIRE (Castlevania, original NES version)
- OUT OF TIME (Castlevania, original NES version)
- NOTHING TO LOSE (Castlevania, original NES version)
- POISON MIND (Castlevania, original NES version)
- BLACK NIGHT (Castlevania, original NES version)
Music Gained with Chapter 11
Xbox Live - Released 2/2/11
PSN - Included with Chapter 11
- Go! Getsu Fuma (Getsu Fuma Den)
- Ryukotsuki (Getsu Fuma Den)
Xbox 360 December 2011 Patch
In December of 2011, the game was given a patch which rebalanced the games. Some of the changes include:
- The MP consumption rates of Jonathan, Julius, Richter, Maria, and Yoko's sub-weapons/spells was reduced
- The strength of many of Alucard's and Soma's strongest weapons of a class was increased (Alucard Sword, Heaven's Sword Daybreak, Moon Rod, Mjollnjr, Holbein Dagger, Muramasa, Nebula)
- All of Soma's spears increased in attack strength.
- The speed of Yasutsuna was reduced for Alucard
- The attack power of Yoko's Blue Splash went down, while Holy Flame and Holy Lightning went up and now deal Holy damage
- Charlotte's Heal spell was modified to give less health and consume more MP.
- The Miser Ring was made available in Chapter 7.
- Robe Decollete gains a STR, INT, and MP Regeneration boost.
- Skeletons can now duck and slide dash.
- Can obtain gold chest even after death (Multiplayer).
- Sprites have been added to the game's files for future DLC, namely 8-bit weapons for Simon, new glyphs for Shanoa, new subweapons for Jonathan, and the Jewel Sword and Shield Rod for Alucard and possibly Soma.
- Data for additional chapters added, along with new items.
- 3 Glitches appeared with the patch.
- 1.Death is stuck against a wall and won't die.
- 2.After fighting Dracula, first stage does not appear again.
- 3.After fighting Dracula, second stage he becomes a big statue.
- Thanks to some in-game voice rips, it was found early that Hammer would have been offered as a DLC character. However, Konami announced on February 3rd, 2011 that Chapter 11 and Getsu Fuma would be the last DLC pack for the game.
Official E3 Trailer
- Harmony of Despair Bestiary
- Harmony of Despair Inventory
- Harmony of Despair Gamerpics (Category)
- Harmony of Despair Locations (Category)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Original Soundtrack
- konami.com (English)
- Konami Japan Product Page
- Destructoid - Interview with Iga
- Silicon Era
- Destructoid OFLC Lists Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
- IGN FAQ
- GameTrailers video - Interview with John Choon, showcasing DLC
- Harmony of Despair Wiki (Japanese)
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
|Soma Cruz - Alucard - Jonathan Morris - Shanoa - Charlotte Aulin|
Julius Belmont - Yoko Belnades - Richter Belmont - Maria Renard - Simon Belmont - Getsu Fuma
|Gergoth - Puppet Master - Menace - Brauner - Death - Dracula|
|Astarte - Legion - Beelzebub - R. The Count - Ryukotsuki|
|Ch1. Caught in the Cradle of Decay - Ch2. Lord of Unseen Strings - Ch3. The End of Chaos|
Ch4. Esquisse of Violence - Ch5. Song of the Unslakable Blade - Ch6. Come, Sweet Hour of Death
|Ch7. Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire - Ch8. The One Who Is Many - Ch9. Lord of Flies|
Ch10. Origins - Ch11. The Legend of Fuma
|Drone - Hymnus - Corpse's Gate - Purple Eyes - Phantom of Fear - Tanz mit einem Clown - Crimson Blood - Ein Weltherrscher - Tractus - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Original Soundtrack|
|Bestiary - Inventory - Achievements/Trophies|