Astarte is a female Egyptian Pharaoh and boss that made her first appearance in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. She has the ability to charm male characters to fight on her side.
Astarte is the Greek name of the Mesopotamian Semitic goddess, Ishtar. She was associated with fertility, sexuality and war. Her symbols were the lion, the horse, the sphinx, the dove, and a star within a circle indicating the planet Venus. Pictorial representations often show her naked. She has been known as the deified evening star.
She was worshiped in Syria and Canaan beginning in the first millennium BC and was first mentioned in texts from Ugarit. She came from the same Semitic origins as the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar, and an Ugaritic text specifically equates Astarte with her.
Astarte arrived in Ancient Egypt during the 18th dynasty along with other deities who were worshiped by northwest Semitic people. She was especially worshiped in her aspect as a warrior goddess, often paired with the goddess Anat.
Astarte appears in the Sandy Grave as the game's fourth boss. Her attacks are the following:
- Temptation: She will shoot heart arrows at the general direction of the hero. If Jonathan is hit by this attack, it will take control of him, forcing the player to switch to Charlotte and fight both Astarte and Jonathan for the rest of the battle. Unless the player is skilled enough to handle the situation, the fight will more than likely end in Astarte's favor. Although the player can switch to Charlotte from the beginning and avoid the move altogether (since she is immune), it would prolong the fight since Astarte is resistant to almost all of her spells. A viable solution would be attacking as Jonathan and when she yells the attack, switch to Charlotte in order to nullify it. Even if Jonathan is affected, though, he is not entirely unstoppable. Once Charlotte has dealt enough damage to him, he will simply crouch downwards and remain that way until the battle is over.
- Scarf Blade: She will lunge at the hero and use her scarf to stab them. This can be easily dodged by moving away or jumping behind her.
- Tornado Rod: She will use her rod to spawn a tornado. The player can either double-jump it or double-jump and try to get behind her. Ducking under her rod's tip, while a little risky, does allow more opportunities for the player to deal damage to Astarte, no matter their choice of weaponry.
- Delta Spark: She will retreat and jump backwards, then shoot electric triangles at the trail spots where she jumped on. Do not approach her at this point until the road is clear; she may walk forward so the player doesn't have to.
Astarte does not take actions so quickly after every move (she often walks around), so take advantage of her slower speed. Attacking from mid-close distance is ideal for the fight. A cheap way to beat her is spamming 1,000 Blades. During the fight just use Charlotte and cast it twice, another after the first one ends. The fight will end very quickly.
Astarte is the boss of Chapter 7, the DLC stage Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire, in Harmony of Despair. Astarte fights almost the exact way as she did in Portrait of Ruin, except she inflicts a lot more damage (some moves are near-instant death) and has a lot more HP than her counterpart.
Her "Temptation" move affects all male characters for a short duration and can only be dodged by a timed double jump above her head, or sliding under them from behind her once she launches them. In addition, Soma can use the Medusa Head soul to hover directly above her to dodge them. The attack may also be avoided by ducking in the corners of the room, but not always. Unlike in Portrait of Ruin, Temptation will physically damage female characters if it connects, although they will not become enslaved like the males.
|Item Data: Astarte|
|Image||Name - Game|
|Type / Users||Attributes / Consume||Statistics / Sell||Found||Notes|
|Create a triangular field of destruction.|| Bullet Soul|
| Attrib: Lightning|
Consume: 15 MP
| ATK +9|| Rarity: *****|
Steal: Astarte (0.5%)
- Astarte may be inspired in part by real life last Egyptian Pharaoh, Cleopatra (69 BC-30 BC), who was known throughout history for her extreme beauty. This allowed her to seduce Roman emperor, Julius Caesar, and later Roman general, Mark Anthony, primarily for political reasons, with the main intention of sparing Egypt of a full invasion by the Roman forces.
If the player pauses the game at different moments during the battle and uses the "Talk" option, they will get extra dialogue between Charlotte and Jonathan.
- As soon the player enters the boss room:
- Jonathan: "... So beautiful..."
- Charlotte: "Jonathan! What are you looking at? Don't lose your head!"
- When Jonathan is affected by Temptation:
- Jonathan: "Yes... My Master..."
- Charlotte: "Snap out of it, Jonathan! Don't you recognize me?!"
- After the battle is over (requires that Jonathan be seduced):
- Jonathan: "Sorry about that."
- Charlotte: "Would you get a grip? You've got a gorgeous girl right here next to you!"
|Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin|
|Jonathan Morris - Charlotte Aulin - Wind - Vincent Dorin|
|Brauner - Stella - Loretta - Death - Dracula|
|Richter Belmont - Maria Renard - Old Axe Armor|
|Main Game Bosses|
|Dullahan - Behemoth - Keremet - Astarte - Legion - Dagon |
The Creature - Mummy Man - Werewolf - Medusa
|Nest of Evil Bosses|
|Balore - Gergoth - Zephyr - Aguni - Abaddon - Doppelganger|
Fake Trevor, Fake Sypha and Fake Grant
|Entrance - Great Stairway - Buried Chamber - Tower of Death - Master's Keep - The Throne Room|
|City of Haze - Nation of Fools - Sandy Grave - Forest of Doom|
13th Street - Burnt Paradise - Forgotten City - Dark Academy - Nest of Evil
|Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin Original Soundtrack|
|BradyGames Portrait of Ruin Official Strategy Guide - Konami Akumajo Dracula: Gallery of Labyrinth Official Guide|
|Bestiary - Inventory - Sisters Mode - Richter Mode - Old Axe Armor Mode|
|Castlevania: Harmony of Despair|
|Soma Cruz - Alucard - Jonathan Morris - Shanoa - Charlotte Aulin|
Julius Belmont - Yoko Belnades - Richter Belmont - Maria Renard - Simon Belmont - Getsu Fuma
|Gergoth - Puppet Master - Menace - Brauner - Death - Dracula|
|Astarte - Legion - Beelzebub - R. The Count - Ryukotsuki|
|Ch1. Caught in the Cradle of Decay - Ch2. Lord of Unseen Strings - Ch3. The End of Chaos|
Ch4. Esquisse of Violence - Ch5. Song of the Unslakable Blade - Ch6. Come, Sweet Hour of Death
|Ch7. Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire - Ch8. The One Who Is Many - Ch9. Lord of Flies|
Ch10. Origins - Ch11. The Legend of Fuma
|Drone - Hymnus - Corpse's Gate - Purple Eyes - Phantom of Fear - Tanz mit einem Clown - Crimson Blood - Ein Weltherrscher - Tractus - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Original Soundtrack|
|Bestiary - Inventory - Achievements/Trophies|