- "I have waited for this moment for a long time. Now my wait is over."
When Gabriel defeated the great Pan, he never imagined that he had altered the natural balance of the world irreversibly. Two mystical spirits: Nomios, commonly known as Pan, and his dark brother Agreus maintain the order of life between the species on the planet. So when one dies, the other would drag the weight of nature with him, bringing drastic changes to all his creatures. Ailing and mad due to the death of his brother, Agreus unleashed chaos and famine in his wake. Crops no longer grew, entire cities were devastated by the plague and wild beasts devoured each other.
Exhausted, the dark faun retired to his secret garden to plan the most cruel revenge against his brother’s killer.
Agreus is the brother of the deceased Pan, coming to Dracula's Castle to seek revenge against his killer, the vampire lord Dracula. First Agreus lures Dracula into the Castle's gardens with a fragment of the Mirror of Fate knowing that he would seek the fragment for his son Trevor Belmont. As Dracula attempts to claim the fragment, Agreus steals it from him and informs the vampire that he intends to avenge Pan's death. Dracula tries to reason with Agreus that his brother chose to sacrifice himself for a cause that he believed in, but Agreus retorts that Pan only died to serve his quest for power. Declaring that Dracula would pay for what he had done, Agreus retreats into the maze, goading the vampire to follow him.
Now trapped inside the maze with the vengeful God, Dracula is forced to evade him in order to escape. Agreus taunts the vampire, claiming that he would relish hunting him down but Dracula manages to avoid him long enough to reclaim the fragment from his Owl Familiar. Enraged, Agreus vows to destroy Dracula and challenges him to a final battle. Eventually the two warriors tumble off the edge of the cliff but Dracula uses Agreus to break his fall. With the Old God weakened and unable to fight back, Dracula proceeds to crush Agreus' skull, killing him.
Agreus is a tall individual, towering over Dracula. His body is similar to mythological caprid hybrids, most notably the Egyptian god Khnum, due to his humanoid body and his ram skull. Agreus' body is also reminscent of the Greek faun's dominion of forests as his body is composed completely of wood, and has orange maple leaves that cover certain parts of his body.
Agreus is an immortal warrior and one of the Old Gods, being more proficient in fighting with his staff and his twin sickles. Much like his brother, he has mystical abilities as he can manifest spears to throw at Dracula, and switch between his favored weapons by manifestation. He is able to throw his sickles like boomerangs, and can unleash damaging whirlwinds occasionally when he slashes with them.
- It's very easy to follow your trail.
- You are wise to hide.
- Think you can fool me?
- I can smell your fear.
- I'm going to enjoy hunting you.
- You can't run forever.
- You're mine!
- Got you!
- Are you playing with me?
- You've sealed your fate.
- You'll pay for this betrayal!
- I've waited centuries for this moment!
- I will honor my brother with your death!
- I will avenge you, Brother!
- You'll be my final victim!
- You can't run away forever.
- I'll see your cadaver at my feet!
- Brother, guide my weapon!
- You're mine!
- In Greek Mythology, Agreus and his brother Nomios were both multiplied from the original god Pan. In Lords of Shadow 2, Pan and Agreus are brothers.
- In the travel book, it claims Pan's true name is "Nomios".
- Agreus' maze has been panned by critics and gamers as the hardest level in the game. However, it has been proved this section can be beaten in less than 1:30 in only one attempt. The trick involves the use of Mist Form: as Agreus cannot see Dracula when he is in Mist Form, it can make this section very easy.
- In fact, the in-game instructions for the section encourage the use of Mist Form.
- Pan and Agreus share the same voice actor.
- Agreus shares similar motifs with Death, such as the twin sickles and overall theme of decay.
- Interestingly, Agreus and Dracula are paralleled in that they both are motivated in their quests by their love for a family member (Pan and Trevor respectively) despite their dark natures.
- Agreus is shown to have an ability similar to Mist Form, although he never uses it during gameplay.